[OpenSIPS-Users] Conflicting info for q-value order

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu bogdan at voice-system.ro
Fri Apr 2 16:34:22 CEST 2010

Hi Brett,

Brett Nemeroff wrote:
> Why not just permanently change the sort order? What's the purpose of
> sorting them if you don't intend to sequentially execute them?

more or less no. So, using serialized_branches() without next_branches()
makes no sense.
> What I'm wondering is what is more confusing to users troubleshooting
> q-value issues. Have serialize branches sort branches backwards, or
> having it sort them properly, but not prepare the branches?
how the serialize function sends data (branches) to the next_branches()
is completely transparent for the user, so the user should not care of
that. The serialize function does sorting and prepare the data for usage
- the data is stored in AVPs and to be later consumed by next_branches()
function.
>  If you
> change the order, it may have the affect of people doing what I did:
> serialize branches without next_branches and it "looks" like it'll
> work (ie: can't tell with 2 branches) but in reality , it wasn't
> working right.

serialize without next_branches is bogus - as said, serialize take all
branches (remove them), sort them and push them into AVPs to be used by
next_branches(). So, after running serialize function, you do not have
the branch set present (as it was moved into AVPs)
> Maybe the best thing to do is to just add a note in the docs about
> serialize_branches. I have a feeling that if you change
> serialize_branches, next_branches would likely need to get changed
> too, right? Because of the pop order.

Probably a better documentation (and probably a short tutorial) will
solve the issue.

> Thanks,
> Brett
>

> On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 4:29 AM, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu
> <bogdan at voice-system.ro> wrote:
>
>> Hi Brett,
>>
>> Brett Nemeroff wrote:
>>
>>> Bogdan,
>>> Hey, I was working on this problem some more and this is what I found...
>>>
>>> Serialize branches does in fact order the branches, but lowest to
>>> highest.. if you just do a:
>>> 1. serialize_branches
>>> 2. t_relay
>>> 3. next_branches
>>> 4. t_relay
>>> 5. next_branches
>>> 6. t_relay
>>> 7. next_branches
>>> 8. t_relay
>>>

>>> and you have q-values of .01 .02 .03 .04
>>>
>>> Calls would be sent like:
>>>
>>> 1. call to q-value .01
>>> 2. call to q-value .04
>>> 3. call to q-value .03
>>> 4. call to q-value .02
>>>
>>> next_branches appears to POP in the right order. Serialize branches
>>> has the affect of ordering them wrong (no POP). So if you just call
>>> next_branches first, then it appears to work properly. In other words
>>> like:
>>> 1. serialize_branches
>>> 2. next_branches
>>> 3. t_relay