[OpenSIPS-Users] Diameter

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu bogdan at voice-system.ro
Tue Sep 22 16:58:04 CEST 2009

Hi Ghaith,

Ghaith ALKAYYEM wrote:
> Thank you for response,
>
> I see in the details of that module (auth_diameter) this diagram:
>
>      +----+ SIP INVITE   +=====+  DIAMETER      +------+       +------+
>      |    | no Auth hdr  #/////#  AA-Request    |      |       |      |
>      |    |---------1--->#/////#-------2------->|      |---2-->|      |
>      |UAC |              #UAS//#                |DClnt |       |DSrv  |
>      |    |<-----4-------#(SER)#<------3--------|(DISC)|<--3---|(DISC)|
>      |    |     401      #/////#  DIAMETER      |      |       |      |
>      +----+ Unauthorized +=====+  AA-Answer     +------+       +------+
>
> We notice in this architecture that we have two diameter blocks, the
> first one plays the role of diameter client(DClnt) and the second one
> plays the role of diameter server(DSrv).

as said, this was an old approach and both the design and software are
outdated.
> But in Radius modules the OpenSIPS interacts with Radius server
> directly, so maybe I have a misunderstood in this regard but I'd like to
> know whether it's possible to make OpenSIPS interact with Diameter
> server directly or this is not possible due to the nature of diameter
> protocol.

yes, opensips talks directly to RADIUS server because it is using the
libradiusclient-ng (which acts as radius client)
> Opendiameter is written in C++ so I think it's not possible to integrate
> it directly in OpenSIPS as a module, so we have to design something
> similar to the above diagram, isn't it? What would be the type of
> communication between OpenSIPS & Diameter Client, is it diameter based
> also?

no, the diameter client should be provided by a library and opensips
will link against that library (like we do for RADIUS now).

Also, looking at the opendiameter project, not sure how active it is -
there are no code changes since February 2008.
> The implementation of Openblox looks promising as well, so do you think
> it would be a good candidate for building the module?

Do you have a link to the project? is this project GPL compatible? also,
does it provide a C API ?