[OpenSIPS-Users] Is there a way to share transactions between opensips?

Stanisław Pitucha viraptor at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 22:34:52 CEST 2009

2009/9/21 Noel R. Morais <noelrocha at gmail.com>:
> Balancing using SRV records is reliable? What happen if on of my
> servers goes down? Can I trust that the client side will take the
> other record for sending requests?

No - not all of them will (old asterisks and siemens sip phones for
example don't do srv failover). That's why I mentioned it as a
solution for performance instead.

The solution for reliability I'm using now is: servers A and B both
with their own ips and an additional floating ip that's managed by
some script. Servers share the dialogs database. If server A goes
down, B cannot ping that host anymore and just migrates the ip to
itself. Simple and works ;) Of course if you catch some connection in
between a request and response, you'll have either get a call that
will drop after ~30 secs anyways (no ack), or some other weird things
will happen, but no live connections are broken and most situations
will be handled correctly by retransmission anyways. And that's a
scenario for the situation when the whole host would go down
otherwise, so... that's a pretty good solution, I think.

Maybe there's some better solution - I don't know. But keeping in mind
that almost every packet changes the transaction state in some way,
you'd get ~2 times as much traffic going through your hosts if you
wanted to share them... and cause a delay on every packet/timer to
lock a transaction and make sure it's shared and .... etc. A big mess.
The only proxy I know that might (it looks like that from the
diagrams) handle shared transaction is Yxa. But that's a completely
different beast :)

--
KTHXBYE,

Stanisław Pitucha, Gradwell Voip Engineer