[OpenSIPS-Users] rtpproxy

Jiang Jinke jiangjinke at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 10:03:32 CEST 2009

Dear michel,

Of course your softphone can have STUN/TURN function as an option to
the user. This is a client side NAT traversal implementation. But it
can not traverse all kinds of NAT ( for example: symmetric NAT).
But server side implementation such as the rtpproxy or mediaproxy will
deal with the symmetric NAT problem correctly.

Client side NAT traversal methods can lower the loading of the server,
but in today's network most of the clients are behide NAT,
and it seems more symmetric NAT are using today.

The OpenSIPs / rtpproxy does fix those NAT issues if your softphone
doesn't. But If your softphone fix that already, the server side will
do nothing to the softphone.

Client function & server function is similar and they both are trying
to dealing with the NAT problem.

Regards,
Jinke Jiang