[OpenSIPS-Users] Sqlops in opensips ?

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Tue May 26 23:52:48 CEST 2009

Sure thing.

Your question is a very good one.  The difficulty of custom database
interaction has always been something that struck me as a curious oddity
about the OpenSER stack;  it is one of the most obvious, most
straightforward and commonly requested options and yet, until recently,
one of the most obscure and difficult to perform.

Hardly anyone uses SER/OpenSER/Kamailio/OpenSIPS without wanting to
issue their own SQL queries for some application-specific purpose, yet
before 'sqlops' there was no elegant and generally well-aired way of
doing this.  Sure, avpops has avp_db_query(), but this has always struck
me as something that was almost more of a hack - an afterthought - since
it does not otherwise especially relate to the central purpose of the
module or the theory behind AVPs.  I find it very ironic - yet wholly
plausible - to think that avp_db_query() might amount to something of a
historical accident.

Its wealth of modules notwithstanding, this product is largely useless
without the ability to interface with databases directly.  I would have
thought something like sqlops would have come along before now.