[OpenSIPS-Users] LB Re: [OpenSIPS-Business] [OpenSIPS-Devel] OpenSIPS at Amoocon (former AsteriskTag)

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu bogdan at voice-system.ro
Thu May 7 15:52:48 CEST 2009

Hi Stefan,

Stefan Sayer wrote:

> I must say I have not looked into the code but only at
> http://www.opensips.org/pub/events/2009-05-04_Amoocon_Rostock/OpenSIPS_LoadBalancing.pdf
>
> but I am not convinced: For load balancing that could be done
> statelessly wrt SIP dialog you are keeping dialog state at the LB.
>
> If you have control over the media servers (as you do with
> freeswitch/asterisk/yate you mentioned) the same could be achieved
> much simpler by periodically reporting current load (e.g. in extra
> header to OPTIONS response or any other SIP message) from the media
> servers to LB and keeping that information as soft state there.
Well, the original design wanted to cover all the possible cases and not
to depend on special capabilities of the peers. So, we took into the
consideration that the peers you are load balancing may be "dummy" peers
and not able to provide any kind of information about the load...or
maybe (because of network, access or security pov), the peers cannot
report the load to you (as example, you may do LB to some phones or GWs
with no load reporting support or you do LB over some peers you do not
control (like termination GWs) and they cannot report to you).

So, we tried the generic approach of being a self-sufficient system. But
you say make perfect sense. This module is a new one and now we start
testing its functionality under different scenarios. During the
presentation, I got good feedback on other things to add, like
integration with bandwidth reservation and limitation for QOS purposes
(getting reports about jitter , delays and so on from the media servers).

Also what you say it may be an useful add-on - to get the load number
from the peers, instead of calculating it.

> If you need dialog state in some proxy anyway for other purposes of
> course you have that information, but for a dedicated LB like on p12 I
> doubt it makes sense.
Correct - the diagram is more from functionality pov and not ncessery
servers/instances - during the presentation I did mentioned that in that
case the Proxy and LB could be actually the same opensips instance. Hope
that Stefan will publish the video recordings of the presentations :)