[OpenSIPS-Users] Opensip and asterisk

Brett Nemeroff brett at nemeroff.com
Wed Mar 25 14:29:56 CET 2009

Although it's a good idea to combine OpenSIPs and Asterisk, the problem you
have is a fundamental architecture issue. Both OpenSIPs and Asterisk are
telephony toolkits and both provide similar features (some better than
others). So you're task is to figure out what you want to do on which box.

Even having a complete understanding of Asterisk and OpenSIPs, this is a
difficult question to answer.

The typical "generic" recommedation for scalability would be to use Asterisk
only for media applicaitons that really need it.. like Voicemail for
example.

And as another reply had suggested transcoding is another place it could be
used.

Personally, I'd take the approach to use asterisk in as few places as
possible. I'd also seriously consider using Freeswitch as an alternative for
asterisk in media applications.

-Brett