[OpenSIPS-Users] [asterisk-users] Asterisk is not designed for University with largeuser base?

Yehavi Bourvine yehavi.bourvine at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 07:08:19 CET 2009

Hello,

  Sorry for the delay - was out of office. I also cross-posting it to
OpenSIPS list.

I have a small pilot (20-30 phones) which also does some sort of SIP to PRI
transcode for our old PBX. The pilot is base on Asterisk and mostly
Polycom-501 phones. It works quite well, but I have a few minor/missing
issues:
- I have the RPID patch, and unattended transfers fails with it.
- No SLA, only BLF. I know there is SLA, but it is cumbersome to deploy.
- Confference is limited to 3 participants. I guess I can do more with
external server but didn't
  manage yet to make it working.
- No "busy dial again" which is required by our users.

Now, to the original issue: I tried adding 1000 extensions to the SIP
database, and then use SIPP to send one REGISTER for each extension. After
doing so Asterisk still worked, but it was continously accessing the
database for all these extensions, just polling them. This raised a red flag
to me, and I decided to check the following config: OpenSIPS/Kamailo/etc. as
registrar and "SIP switch" for the phones, while using Asterisk only for
media related issues (which is the common suggestion here). Now, I have new
problems:

- SLA works, but very "fragile".
- Not BLF, although I think it will be solve with the dialog handling on
OpenSIPS 1.5
- Same confference and "busy dial" problem.

Next week our management is going to decide (I hope...) how to proceed: Do
nothing (stay with the Nortel as we are tight on budget), go to open source
or to a commercial solution.

Although a commercial solution allows me so sleep well at night, I am going
to recommend the open source direction. If accepted, then I will continue
the development and you'll hear me quite a lot here asking hard questions
:-)

BTW, If I didn't say so far: we have around 8,000 extensions on 4 Notel
PBX'es, using around 10 PRI's to the world.

                        Regards, __Yehavi: