[OpenSIPS-Users] [NEW] SDP codec manipulation feature

Iñaki Baz Castillo ibc at aliax.net
Tue Jul 28 22:19:56 CEST 2009

El Martes, 28 de Julio de 2009, Alex Balashov escribió:
> It's worth pointing out that no member of the OpenSER project stack has
> been a "pure" SIP proxy for very long;  they have certain UAS features
> (registrar, PUA, NAT ping, etc.)  As Bogdan said, a pure proxy would not
> be terribly useful in most scenarios in which the project is deployed.

I don't agree, let me explain:

OpenSER has been:
- Pure SIP proxy  :)
- Registrar server
- Presence server

(I don't mention "redirect server" since IMHO is a stupid concept).

However, today's OpenSIPS features include dialog management and SDP mangling.
These features are supposed to be implemented in a B2BUA, not in a proxy (all
of us already know the real limitations of the dialog module concerning to
security, forking scenarios, PRACK...).

In the above other cases (registrar, presence server), OpenSIPS behaves as an
UAS, not as a proxy, so OpenSIPS implements the appropiate role for such
tasks.

Anyhow, if the new "exotic" features work, go on :)

--
Iñaki Baz Castillo <ibc at aliax.net>