[OpenSIPS-Users] codec manipulation feature

Jeff Pyle jpyle at fidelityvoice.com
Thu Jan 29 14:20:09 CET 2009

Hi Bogdan,

I'm looking for the ability to selectively remove codec advertisements from
the SDP.  For example, if my customer sends a call to me for PSTN
termination he may advertise G711 and G729, with G711 preferred.  By looking
at the number of existing dialogs I may know that he's running low on
bandwidth, so I would like to suppress the G711 advertisement ultimately
causing a 200 OK from the carrier with G729.

Generically, in this application we're looking only to suppress G711 at
certain times.

I understand normally codec selection is done completely by the gateway
device.  However, my gateway devices aren't smart enough to take bandwidth
utilization into consideration when choosing which codecs to advertise.  I'm
hoping my proxy might be.  :)

Does that make sense?

- Jeff