[OpenSIPS-Users] OpenSip SIP, SIP-I e SIP-T

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Thu Feb 19 20:28:24 CET 2009

Adrian Georgescu wrote:

> Why should SIP-T still exist? Is it cheaper than having a gateway? What
> is the practical use case for investing in such technology?
>
> I am eager to learn

We've used it extensively in work with CLECs that operate TDM switches
such as the Metaswitch, Lucent LCS/Telica, etc.

When a carrier operates more than one switch, SS7 interconnection
between them is generally required so, for the same basic reasons an
internal iBGP mesh or partial mesh (confederation) between two border
routers is required for IP.   One switch must be aware of numbers routed
or ported into the other switch, and so on.

The reason for its existence is that if both network elements support
SIP-T, it allows you to replace an SS7 IMT (inter-machine trunk) with an
IP-based mechanism for this interconnection.  This allows you to move
the traffic over a data network and get all the benefits that this
brings;  economies of scale through decreased facilities,
oversubscription, etc.  The main benefit is the elimination of TDM trunk
exhaust;  SS7 IMTs are physically bundles (trunk groups/TCICs) of DS0s,
usually consisting of one or more T1s, and sometimes DS3s or more.  That
means that when a large volume of calls is running between the two
switches, you could burn up all your SS7 trunks.  Running the calls as
SIP-T allows you to use something like a gigabit network core to make
that problem go away somewhat -- a key benefit of VoIP in most other
scenarios with which you are familiar with.

At the same time, the switches still need ISUP attributes carried in SS7
IAMs and ACMs for billing, because that's just the information they
operate on internally.  SIP-T provides an IP-based way to encapsulate
that information.

SIGTRAN (essentially, SS7-over-IP) is another way to do this.  However,
SIP-T is lightweight and easier to deploy.  It also allows you to use
existing SIP network elements (proxies, session border controllers,
etc.) to route and manage the traffic.   For example, if you were using
OpenSIPS + ACC + FreeRADIUS as a CDR catcher, you could run the "SS7"
calls between two switches and log the appropriate information as custom
attributes.  There are no good open-source implementations for SIGTRAN -
nothing as turn-key as Kamailio or OpenSIPS.  SIP is high-level and much
easier to deal with and manipulate using a far wider range of tools.

SIP-T is also becoming an attractive external interconnect option.

--
Alex Balashov
Evariste Systems