[OpenSIPS-Users] Having '@' in the username

Vasil Kolev vasil.kolev at attractel.com
Tue Feb 10 14:59:00 CET 2009

Hi all,
(I don't know if this would be better suited for the -devel list, but
AFAIK this is also read by the developers)

I'm working on a service which currently uses email addresses as
usernames (and I know it's somewhat a bad idea). I went through the
RFCs, asked around, and it doesn't seem to be a problem, but...

1) I had to patch opensips not to parse the @domain part, as it's not
part of any standard (parser/digest/digest_parser.c, parse_username(),
have it just do the 'return').

2) then, the username didn't match the one I try to register with, so I
needed an entry in the URI table that looks like this:
'user at domain','user%40domain'.

Now, I'm able to call around, and presence seems to work, but then when
I try using XCAP for the presence, most of the stuff starts to think
that the username is the leftmost part of the first '@', which for some
reason seems wrong. I can patch the xcap a bit, but then I'll probably
have to go back and see what has to be escaped where and how...

So, the question goes like this - should I even bother with this, or
should I just have the client part escape '@' and be done with it?

Vasil Kolev
Attractel NV
dCAP #1324, LPIC2