[OpenSIPS-Users] [OpenSIPS-Devel] New auids supported by OpenXCAP

Iñaki Baz Castillo ibc at aliax.net
Tue Dec 1 22:58:37 CET 2009

El Martes, 1 de Diciembre de 2009, Saul Ibarra Corretge escribió:
> Hi,
>
> On Dec 1, 2009, at 8:03 PM, Iñaki Baz Castillo wrote:
> > Hi, sorry for my last mail, I've a bad day...
> >
> > Let me say it in a more polite way:
> >
> > I suggest to avoid the usage of invented auids when the implemented XCAP
> > applications already define a "standarized" auid. Using unnecessary auids
> > aliases just can create confusion and interoperability issues.
>
> You were right, we were not using standard auids and that's fixed by now.
>  Now responses are sent with the correct auids,

That's great ;)

>  but we are accepting requests to those shorter names, following Jon
>  Postel's rule: "be strict in what we send and gentle in what we accept".

Sincerely I don't know why. I can understand OpenXCAP to accept "pres-rules"
and "org.mobilealliance.pres-rules" for the same application since there is a
IETF's pres-rules and a OMA's pres-rules (however they areot the same at all,
but that's another subject).

Anyhow there is not a IETF's "xcap-directory" application, neither "icon"
application, so nobody uses them. Allowing these new auid aliases is not
useful (nobody uses them) and just can originate interoperability issues if
some vendor decides to use the alias name rather than the *official* name.

For example, it's like if a SIP proxy allows CALL request method as an alias
for INVITE. It makes no sense as CALL has been never defined so nobody uses
it.

Regards.

PS: As a suggestion, I hope that SipSimpleClient uses OMA auids rather than
the unnecessary aliases, since there is no benefit in using them.

--
Iñaki Baz Castillo <ibc at aliax.net>