[OpenSIPS-Users] B2BUA module question

Anca Vamanu anca at opensips.org
Tue Aug 25 17:28:19 CEST 2009

Hi Brett,

Brett Nemeroff wrote:
> All,
> Question about the direction of the B2BUA module. I know one of the
> key feature is topology hiding. Does this also occur in the SDP? I
> would expect that it would need to still be paired with something like
> mediaproxy or rtpproxy to achieve topology hiding with SDP as well, is
> this correct? Do you expect the B2BUA module will ever integrate into
> any of the media proxying solutions?

As you correctly assumed, the B2BUA implementation in OpenSIPS is only a
signaling B2BUA and it does not deal with sdp. The media will still go
end to end and you need to use something like rtpproxy for a full b2b.
> Also, what's the possibility of doing things like changing headers,
> removing headers and such. For example, internally, I may have an
> "X-Account-Number:" field that is used between servers and I never
> want an request from the outside to ever come in with one of those and
> likewise I don't ever want a request to go out with one of those. I
> know a lot of that can be done in the script already, but I'm
> wondering if the B2BUA portions have any special handling for that
> kind of thing (ie: remove all non-standard headers).  Also, there are
> a lot of non-rfc-ish things that I have to do on a regular basis that
> a B2BUA always performs better. For example, I have partners that
> insist on specific formatting of the From or To headers (like adding
> or removing prefixes to from/to headers.. yes.. I know..).

The headers that are now taken from the initial message and inserted in
the message sent on the other side are: Supported, Require,
Proxy-Require, Accept and Content-Type.
We can extend the rules action part to include this one of requesting a
certain header to be added since it can indeed be useful.
But the one with formatting the to or from header in a certain way is
quite hard to express as a rule..

regards,
Anca