[OpenSIPS-Users] Multiple Area Codes in Customer Area

osiris123d duane.larson at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 23:09:38 CEST 2009

I was curious to see how people configure OpenSIPS when their customers could
potentially be in different area codes.  I am located in the US.  Say I have
customers that are in the following area codes

201-XXX-XXXX    <- New Jersey
339-XXX-XXXX    <- Boston

Initially when I was setting up users I configured the username to be just
like the persons email address (ex. bobsmith at xyz.com), and configured an
alias that included the DID for that person (ex. 2011XXXXX1 at xyz.com).

So when bobsmith in New Jersey calls someone and just types 7 digits then
obviously its local.  How do people out there using OpenSIPS usually
determine if the call is local or not?  I was thinking that I need to swap
my username and alias around so that the username is the 10 digit DID and
then I can look at the first 3 digits to see what the area code is.  My
other idea was to set up Groups for each area code and add the users to
their Area Code group and determine it that way.

Am I looking at this the right way or am I making this more complicated?  I
would like to get my setup right the first time so that this config scales
well.

Thanks for any input.