[OpenSIPS-Users] opensips-cp CDR correlation

Dan Pascu dan at ag-projects.com
Thu Apr 30 11:30:20 CEST 2009

On Thursday 30 April 2009, Iñaki Baz Castillo wrote:
> Yes, I agree on it. However I just wanted to mean that using a
> media-proxy is not the best solution for all the cases, specially when
> clients are behind same NAT (an office for example) and the PBX/Proxy
> is hosted in some datacenter.

There is no reliable way to detect if 2 devices are in the same LAN behind
NAT.

> Also, for calls to a gateway in our same datacenter, forcing the RTP
> through a media-proxy is not the only solution. Using SessionTimers
> (so a B2BUA is required and not just a proxy) is also a good solution
> (and cheaper since no servers are needed for relaying the media).

That is not actually accurate. No _new_ servers are needed, as in you can
reuse any existing server for this purpose. Nowadays mediaproxy is very
efficient because it uses conntrack rules in the kernel to forward the
packets. It does forward hundreds of media streams with virtually no load
on the CPU, so you can reuse your SIP proxy server to run it. It just adds
an indirection point between the UAC and the gateway without increasing
the network traffic and the benefits greatly overcome the inconveniences
as you get accuracy down to the second in accounting and do not care about
SIP level hacking attempts.

--
Dan