[OpenSIPS-Users] Various newbie questions

Yehavi Bourvine yehavi.bourvine at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 09:58:13 CEST 2009

Hello,

  As I said here in the past I am trying to migrate my currently working
Asterisk configuration into a mix of OpenSIPS and Asterisk. For this I have
to move some functionality from Asterisk to OpenSIPS and have a few
questions:

   - *Presence*: I have here some hole in my knowledge: If I understand
   correctly, OpenSIPS has a simple presence/dialog-state mechanism built-in,
   right? Then, why do I need an external one like OpenXCAP? Just to have
   connectivity with other presence packages?
   - *BLF and call pickup on Polycom phones*: This is the most hurting
   issue, and I must solve it... Most of our users are using Polycom phones,
   and they want a BLF key which shows the other party status, and allow direct
   pickup if his/her extension is ringing. The problem is
   that Polycom subscribes for presence and not for dialog state. Here are my
   related questions:
    - When OpenSIPS receives the subscribe message, is there some simple
      tool/function which allows me to modify it or create a new
subscribe message
      with the relevant information?
      - With Asterisk I program the BLF keys to send something like *7xxxxx
      where xxxx is the destination extension. This way I can catch it at the
      dialplan and act according to the dialled extension state: If it
is free, it
      just dials it; if it is ringing then a pickup function is
called, an if it
      is busy then it works according to the busy policy (busy or
voicemail). The
      questions:
       - How can I find the state of the destination extension?
         - How can I pickup its call?
         - *voicemail and fax*: My current plan is to use Asterisk as the
   voicemail and media server. The main drawback is the lack of fax support on
   Asterisk voicemail. Is there some other voicemail application that does fax
   termination?

That's for now...

                                      Thanks! __Yehavi: