[OpenSIPS-Users] Opensips stalls on sending messages if resolving domain by dns

Bobby Smith bobby.smith at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 22:45:44 CEST 2009

The setup -- we're using an internal dns server to route stateless
transactions.  In the routing script, depending on who the request user is,
we replace the request-uri domain with a domain address and forward the
message statelessly.

We've experienced an issue where on the stateless forward function, if for
some reason the dns server is down, opensips just kind of sits there.  We
see on an ngrep that the messages come to opensips, but opensips doesn't
really do anything and never gets to execute the forward("mydomain")
function.

The way we know this is that, sometimes, when the DNS lookup is delayed or
finally comes back up, opensips seems to forward the message finally.  If
it's an invite, the message causes the sip device to ring again after a call
is established, an undesired behavior.

Is there any simple way to request a maximum amount of time that it will try
to do something with the message, and if that time is exceeded (because it
can't resolve the domain), to simply drop the message and exit processing
for that particular message?