[OpenSIPS-Users] [OT] about scalability, experiences, demands

Henning Westerholt henning.westerholt at 1und1.de
Fri Nov 14 14:59:30 CET 2008

Hello all,

recently some statement came to my attention that "there is a common consent
that the current design/architecture of [..] OpenSER (inherited from SER) is
no longer able to deliver and to meet the present requirements and demands".

I don't want to argue that much about this opinion, in fact the demands to a
Voice over IP solution depends very much on the certain setup. But i want to
share some details from my experiences in developing and operating a big VoIP
infrastructure here at 1&1.

We've about 2 million customers on our platform, that uses over 5 million
individual numbers and terminate about 1 billion minutes per month. We're
able to provide a good service with the actual architecture of OpenSER
without any real problems. Of course there is always some room for
improvements, but so far the main challenges we faced were not in the
scalability or performance areas. More important issues are e.g. the inherent
complexity of the SIP protocol and the maintainance of a good quality
assurance and integration process.

We started some years ago with OpenSER 0.9.5, which we then extended a lot in
house. For example we implemented more than 25 own modules, a own path
implementation, did a lot of bug fixing and workarounds for certain problems
we've found. We're able to reduce this amount of proprietary code a lot in
the past, because of progress in the OpenSER development, intregration of
our "key" modules and a lot of other contributions. We're using now something
between OpenSER 1.3 and Kamailio 1.4 with only a few private extensions.

So in my opinion the actual design of our server is not "[..] an inevitable
dead-end that needs to be avoided.". I rather think that we'll be able with
continuing improvements to tackle the upcoming challenges well, especially as
we will work together in the future with the SER developers in improving
important areas of this software.

But this is just my personal opinion, everybody is of course free to have
their own position.

With best regards,

Henning Westerholt

--
Henning Westerholt - Development Consumer Products / DSL Core
1&1 Internet AG, Ernst-Frey-Str. 9, 76135 Karlsruhe, Germany

Vorstände: Henning Ahlert, Ralph Dommermuth, Matthias Ehrlich, Thomas
Gottschlich, Robert Hoffmann, Markus Huhn, Hans-Henning Kettler,
Dr. Oliver Mauss, Jan Oetjen - Aufsichtsratsvorsitzender: Michael Scheeren
Amtsgericht Montabaur / HRB 6484