[OpenSER-Users] Openser not processing requests at rate being sent to it

Michael Young myoung at redmonsters.net
Tue May 27 15:16:25 CEST 2008

Here is what I know (disclaimer: I am not a coder... as far as I am concerned C is for Cookie, and that's good enough for me):

One of my providers is a company I used to work for. They have a primary OpenSER server (running 1.2.1) that at peak times receives 20 - 25 new INVITES per second. I have their ENUM configured to route half of those calls to my proxy1, and the other half to my proxy2.

At 25 cps (new calls per second), the load on their SER box is .1 to .2 at most. The processor rarely gets to 1% utilized. OpenSER is using between 200 and 400 Mb of RAM.

At 10 cps, my proxy1 shows a load of .9 to 1.2. The processor rarely gets to 1% utilized, and the server is using 700 Mb of RAM. At 20 cps, my proxy1 chokes and stops responding to invites. It is not the processor or the RAM that are limiting... there is something else involved that takes the load up to 2.0, at which point it stops responding.

I have stripped down my config, trying to find out where the problem is. At this point I have wild theories, but few cold hard facts.

Their OpenSER box is running ACC, and writing records to a MYSQL cluster that lives on a different box. Mine is not running ACC at all anymore. They use ENUM, I'm using dbaliases. They are using Ubuntu on an i386 processor, I am using CentOS x86_64. I actually have a Xeon-based server on order, wondering if the problem is only on x86_64 based systems.

Increasing the UDP buffer size is the only thing that has gotten me to 10 cps, before I was dying at 3. My OpenSER proxies route calls to a server farm of ~70 Asterisk boxes. If one of those asterisk servers goes off line, my proxy's load will immediately go up to 2.0, the processor level will go to 100%, and it stops processing many (but not all) new calls. It seems to block some of the processes at this point, if I try to shut OpenSER down I have to manually kill 6 to 8 of the child processes.

Here are the modules I'm loading:
loadmodule "mysql.so"
loadmodule "sl.so"
loadmodule "tm.so"
loadmodule "rr.so"
loadmodule "maxfwd.so"
loadmodule "textops.so"
loadmodule "mi_fifo.so"
loadmodule "uri_db.so"
loadmodule "uri.so"
loadmodule "xlog.so"
loadmodule "permissions.so"
loadmodule "alias_db.so"
loadmodule "domain.so"

Maybe this information can help someone else who is running into a similar problem.

Michael