[OpenSER-Users] UDP Buffer Size / OpenSER / Linux

Michael Young myoung at redmonsters.net
Wed May 21 14:42:05 CEST 2008

I've been working with this also, and I don't understand the decision
process that OpenSER uses to select its UDP buffer size.

1. The system default is 128 Kb. When I start OpenSER without changing any
settings, it uses a 128 Kb buffer size.

2. I changed the OS buffer to 256 kb (sysctl -w net.core.rmem_max=262144).
OpenSER starts, and says:

INFO:core:probe_max_receive_buffer: using a UDP receive buffer of 255 kb

OK, so far so good.

3. So next I set the OS buffer to 1 Mb (sysctl -w
net.core.rmem_max=1048576). I did not set the MAX_RECV_BUFFER_SIZE or use
-b. Openser starts and says:

INFO:core:probe_max_receive_buffer: using a UDP receive buffer of 512 kb

Hmmm, that's strange....

4. I start Openser with -b 1048576. Openser says:
INFO:core:probe_max_receive_buffer: using a UDP receive buffer of 2048 kb

2 Mb? The OS limit is 1 Mb...  That can't be right.

5. I've been fiddling with various numbers for -b, and if I use 1024,
Openser says:
INFO:core:probe_max_receive_buffer: using a UDP receive buffer of 124 kb

6. If I use -b 1024000, Openser says:
INFO:core:probe_max_receive_buffer: using a UDP receive buffer of 2000 kb

So now I'm confused. I can't get Openser to give me a UDP buffer size of 1
Mb, it seems to settle on either 512 Kb or 2 Mb. Am I missing something?
This is with 1.3.2.

Michael Young