[OpenSER-Users] Why every body return "404 Not Found" instead of "480 Not Available"?

Cosimo Fadda cosimo.fadda at klarya.it
Wed Mar 5 11:43:09 CET 2008

Hi Iñaki,
my consideration on 404/480 responses comes both from RFC 3261 and from
the RFC 3398 (Integrated Services Digital Network (ISDN) User Part
(ISUP) to Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Mapping)

ISUP Cause value                        SIP response
  ----------------                        ------------
  1  unallocated number                   404 Not Found
  2  no route to network                  404 Not found
  3  no route to destination              404 Not found

  19 no answer from the user              480 Temporarily unavailable
  20 subscriber absent                    480 Temporarily unavailable

Anyway it seems that the best practise is to send 404 both cases, but I
prefer to distinguish this two situatations.

Cosimo Fadda

--
*Ing. Cosimo Fadda
System Engineer