[OpenSER-Users] Clustering with openser

Stanisław Pitucha stanis at gradwell.net
Thu Jun 5 12:54:10 CEST 2008

Hey
I've got some openser servers running in db-only mode on the same database. Load for them is balanced using srv records, and they can handle exactly the same traffic -> standard clustering.
I wonder about procedure of shutting them down if something fails. Assuming that a new openser will be started with the same ip on another host if old one fails, should I allow old openser to shutdown as cleanly as it can, or should I cut the communication as soon as possible? What I worry about most, is -> does shutting down openser which handles a dialog at the moment cause it to send any packets that I wouldn't like to be sent in this scenario?

I think it works this way:
- If I cut the communication and kill all openser processes (kill, not term), I can assign the new ip faster because old host is in unknown/failed state anyways. But it may leave some unused stuff in database.
- If I allow it to close properly, it may cleanup it's state it database. But it may remove too much dialog data (which could be used by the backup host).
Which one is more likely?

Thanks,
Stan