[Kamailio-Users] Project continuity and near future.

Henning Westerholt henning.westerholt at 1und1.de
Mon Jul 28 19:59:20 CEST 2008

On Monday 28 July 2008, Alex Balashov wrote:
> [..]
> Personally, from a purely aesthetic viewpoint, I am not sure that
> "Kamailio" was the best choice for a replacement name.  It is hard to
> remember to spell and sounds overly exotic, in stark contrast to the
> no-nonsense technical professionalism and humourless objectivity
> commanded by a word like "OpenSER."   Kamailio sounds more like
> something full of non-genetically modified soy, maybe with some goat
> cheese, organic, vegan, and Silicon Valley / "VoIP 2.0" - sort of like
> the "Yate" B2BUA.  I think it's more likely that staunchly conservative
> telco executives are going to gloss over something like that than
> something more imposing and Anglo-accessible.

Hi Alex,

nice associations. :-) In constrast to the old one is the new name probably
really exotic. But its surprisingly hard to find a name with free domains,
that lacks trademarks and so on. And after all, if you look at "akamai", then
hawaian words are not that rare in the telco world..

> The companies and developers around the project will continue to support
> and develop the project as before. The new major release will be with
> the new name and version 1.4.0 -- simply is just a renaming, no other
> changes.

Henning

--
Henning Westerholt - Development Consumer Products / DSL Core
Core developer Kamailio project (formerly known as OpenSER)