[OpenSER-Users] OpenSER as NAT traversal proxy HELP!

Joris Dobbelsteen joris at familiedobbelsteen.nl
Sat Jul 26 01:18:04 CEST 2008

Klaus Darilion wrote:
> Hi Joris!
>
> Testing with XLite I meant to find out if the problem is a problem of
> the ANT or of the client (zyxel) as Xlite does NAT traversal very well.
>
> If Zyxel does not support NAT traversal and also voipbuster fails to
> traverse your special NAT, then you yre right and need your own NAT
> traversal solution e.g. as you tried with openser (multihomed)  and
> rtpproxy in (bridge mode). You could also try
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/siproxd/

I did, and with both I had several problems I have no knowledge of
understanding what is going wrong and how to solve it.
With siproxd I got to the point that everything should have worked, at
least in my opinion. I could see all the traffic flowing and it seemed
to be OK and with correct IPs and correct ports. Either incoming or
outgoing audio remained to be a problem, so after two and a half day I
gave up and reconfigured the ZyXEL (plus other parts on the network)
into the ISP intended configuration. This at least solved the VoIP
issues I had.
Its not what I had intended though, but its a "production" system and it
just needs to work. I had other people complaining, because VoIP was
down mostly for 2 weeks while I was away.
It used to work before with plain NAT (most of the time) but something
seems to have changed in the meanwhile (my ISP also had a few days
outage on their VoIP service, so its well possible that they made big
changes/replaced equipment to get them resolved). I only had problems
with jitter at that time and I had resolved these.

Maybe I'll try again at some later date. In any case, OpenSER + rtpproxy
don't seem to be really nice for the setup I thought about. NAT seems
mostly an afterthought and I seriously miss control over the UTP ports
to be used. I like to lock down my firewall as tight as possible, but
this just not an option with this software. Its better with siproxd,
where you actually can configure the UTP ports to use.
Nevertheless, its quite nice to see OpenSER a bit and I got an light
impression of what it is capable of. The design allows you to do
everything you could think of. The only other disadvantage is its
unpolished support for postgresql, especially for someone who values
ACID properties and MySQL lacks/violates those mostly. Still I should
complement all the people who have designed and implemented this software.

Also thanks for those who tried to help me with my issues. Its at least
encouraging for taking another attempt to get it to work at some later date.

Regards,

- Joris

[snip]