[OpenSER-Users] when openser starts - mi_fifo reports "pkg_malloc cannot allocate any more memory"

Henning Westerholt henning.westerholt at 1und1.de
Tue Jul 15 12:22:56 CEST 2008

On Monday 14 July 2008, Christian Koch wrote:
> we have installed Openser with mysql on a RedHat Enterprise 4 machine.
> Details are as follows:
> [..]
> version: openser 1.3.2-notls (i386/linux)
> [..]
> When we start openser the child process disappear directly again and the
> log file shows the following (snippet, this message continues until
> openser stopped):
> [..]
> Jul 14 11:30:10 Capricadb3 /usr/local/sbin/openser[10344]:
> ERROR:mi_fifo:mi_writer_init: pkg_malloc cannot allocate any more memory!
> [..]
> We have configured openser to start 4 childs in the config file.
>
> When we configure 2 childs only it will start.
> We have tried pretty much everything we can think of, we also used the
> "DBG_QM_MALLOC" switch in the Makefile.defs
> but the output in the logfile does not point out anymore helpful infos.
> We also increased the shared and private memory in the config.h file
> step by step up to pkg= 64 and shared=256MB without success.
>
> We have the same config running on another machine with pretty much the
> same spec, just a slower CPU and less memory and there it runs with
> default settings...

Hi Christian,

strange problem. I assume that you mean 64Mb pkg memory? This is a lot,
normally the default/ slightly increased settings should be just fine. Does
the error happens all the time in the mi_fifo initialization? Do you use
carrierroute with a large route set, or any other module that needs a lot of
memory during startup? How much memory the machine have?

Cheers,

Henning