[OpenSER-Users] Carrierroute help..

Henning Westerholt henning.westerholt at 1und1.de
Thu Jan 24 18:05:14 CET 2008

On Tuesday 22 January 2008, Ricardo Martinez wrote:
> Thanks Henning....
> Please see my answers below :
> > [..]

> According to this,in the "failure route" is checked if receives from the
> gateway the messages "408" or "5XX", but since the gateway is offline there
> is no way to receive any response from it.  So, what is the behaviour of
> the module here?.  It keeps sending the calls to the de-2.carrier1 and
> de-3.carrier1 gateways? or keeps sending the calls between the 3 gateways?

Hi,

this has nothing to do with the behaviour of carrierroute.. OpenSER will try
to resend the invite, and then generate a local 408 after the timer of the tm
module run out. And then you can enter a failure route.

> > 2.- Now, suppose that "de-1.carrier1" gateway is only full, so i can
> > probably have a reply from the gateway (maybe a "480" message"), so the
> > carrierroute module now tries with a failover route (defa.carrier1?) or
> > tries with any of the other two gateways still not full?
>
> I suppose you mean that 'de-1' is overloaded. No, the next domain is not
> automatically entered. This deficiency is known, and will be addressed in
> the future. But this code is not ready yet for a release.
>
> Yes sorry.. i meant "de-1" is overloaded, so in this case, i can receive a
> "408" Message from the gateway indicating maybe "overload".  So i handle
> the answer with the failure route[2], so all the calls answered with the
> "408" are re-routed to the "domain 1" route isn't?.  Wouldn't be more
> accurate to keep sending calls to the other gateways (de-2 and de-3)?
> insted of make a failover to a default route? since the other two gateways
> are not overloaded......

Well, 408 is not the right error for overloading, more appropriate would be
503. Carrierroute has no knowledge of the meaning and your policy regarding a
408/ 503, let alone that the two other gws are not overloaded.. A hardcoded
logic in this module would not fit to everybody.

At the moment you must go with the failure_routes, or use the lcr module
instead. In the future there will be probably some better solution, as i
wrote in my first mail.

Cheers,

Henning