[OpenSER-Users] Why RPID related functions instead of PAI?

Mon Jan 21 19:46:12 CET 2008

Iñaki Baz Castillo wrote:
> Hi, "Remote-Party-ID" is a draft ("draft-ietf-sip-privacy-04") [1] expired in
> 2002 while "P-Asserted-Identity" is a official RFC (3325) [2].
>
> I'd like to know why OpenSer manages RPID in some functions ("auth" module)
> instead of PAI. I assume that some gateways just implement RPID and so, but
> can't understand why PAI is ignored (the use of PAI is extended in gateways).

RPID was never an RFC, but it was implemented by Cisco and all of the
Cisco stuff out there support it. PAI is supported only by newer Cisco
stuff. Thus, most gateways support RPID too to be compatible with Cisco.

When ser implemented RPID support, there was not PAI defined. Thus, RPID
support was first and it was implemented into auth module - and more or
less hardcoded.

Later, ser/openser become more flexible (pseudo variables, AVPs ...) and
you could load AVPs from DB and add a new header with the AVP. Thus, for
adding a header with values read from database there was no reason
anymore to implement a certain add_pai_hf function as you could do
everything with append_hf and AVPs.

regards
klaus