[OpenSER-Users] RTP-Proxy

Andreas Granig agranig at sipwise.com
Fri Jan 11 15:41:46 CET 2008

Jerome,

Jerome Martin wrote:
> What I don't get here is the "minutes of tolerance". Typically, RTP
> timeout is in the same order of time, for what I've seen. Do you use an
> RTP timeout of a few seconds only ? If so, clearly the issues I've
> mentionned earlier are even worse with such a short timeout.

Let me clear this up. In some deployments billing relies on successful
re-INVITEs (with an interval of some minutes) rather than on RTP
timeouts (which may be detected within some seconds). This works because
they are rather closed systems with UACs which support the Session Timer
standard. So if a BYE is lost for some reason, the call is torn down on
the next re-INVITE latest.

> I'm really curious, could you give me a real-world example of an
> RTP-detection based soution providing sub-minute dead UA detection ?

No, sorry, since I also don't rely on RTP regarding the billing :)

Andreas