[OpenSER-Users] Openser + Mediaproxy behind NAT (works so far)

Peter P GMX Prometheus001 at gmx.net
Tue Jan 8 14:40:46 CET 2008

I found a workaround solutionand I would like to share it with you.

In our environment with mediaproxy we had the problem that mediaproxy
had to bind to th lokal IP behind nat. So he also announced the local
nat to the UAs.

We modified rtphandler.py at the very end:
def endpointAddresses(self):
'''Return the IP address and the RTP data port(s) that will be used by
this session'''
ports = [str(stream.rtpStream.addr[1]) for stream in self.mediaStreams]
return " ".join(["PublicIP"] + ports)

We simply added our public IP (last line) to the script (replace
"PublicIP" with your public IP e.g. "123.123.234.234").

Now The mediaproxy is bound to the local IP thus announcing the public
IP to the other parties.

We traced SIP and RTP traffic and so far it worked fine in the following
scenario.

UA <=> NAT <=> Internet <=> NAT <=> OpenSER + Mediaproxy <=> NAT <=> UA.

It may not work under all circumstances. We will continue to test in
other scenarios.

Anybody else has tried this and has experience in this?

Best regards
Peter