[OpenSIPS-Users] Newbie questions about OpenSIPS

Jiri Kuthan jiri at iptel.org
Wed Dec 10 21:15:43 CET 2008

Yehavi Bourvine wrote:
> Hello,
>
>   Up to now I used Asterisk as our pilot phone exchange (around 20
> extensions). I am now installing and learnning OpenSIPS/Kamailio to be
> used as a front end to Asterisk in order to support much more
> extensions. I have a fe questions:
>

>     * As far as I see Kamailio and OpenSIPS are quite interchangeable in
>       the sense that I can take the config file from one of them and use
>       it on the other. Am I right?

unfortunately not. I recommend the SER/openser merging project to you as
there is strong effort to consolidate these differences. That's different
mailing lists though.

>     * How do I generate music on hold? I understand that OpenSIPS is not
>       a media server thus it cannot generate it, but can I use Asterisk
>       to generate it? If so, is there an example config for openSIPS
>       and  Asterisk?

You really need media server. Either SEMS or Asterisk are obvious choices,
but that's best served at other mailing lists too.

>     * When an extension is busy I have some code in Asterisk to wait for
>       the busy side to hangup and then generate a call to the original
>       caller (here this feature is called "Call again") using the call
>       files. . Is there some way to generate such a call in openSIPS
>       like the "call files" in Asterisk, or will I have to use Asterisk
>       for this feature?

you need SEMS for this.

>     * And a different topic: When using more than one table in a MySQ:
>       server, is there any difference between calling the function
>       modparam("acc", "db_url" ...)  for all tables at once, or can I
>       call it for each one separately without having any performance issues?

You can have one parameter for all of them. Something like this:
modparam("speeddial|auth_db|usrloc|acc_db|domain|uri_db|gflags|avp_db|db_ops|flexroute",
"db_url", "mysql://ser:heslo@localhost/ser")

see SER's OOB config file.

-jiri