[OpenSIPS-Users] Problem load-testing opensips with Auth

Bogdan-Andrei Iancu bogdan at voice-system.ro
Tue Dec 9 22:20:41 CET 2008

Hi Juan,

Juan Backson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I fixed the "nonce" error with the latest 1.4.2 svn release.
> Previously, I got the latest release mixed up with old .so file.  Now
> it is working fine.  Thank you for the fix.

that was an ugly one and I glad that Anca provide a fast and reliable
fix for it.

> The only problem I have left is about the performance of opensips when
> Auth is involved. Without Authentication, Opensips can process >10K
> registration requests/s.  When Authentication is involved, it can only
> handle 80 registration requests/s.  The box in this case is a Pentinum
> dual core with 2G Ram.
>
> After I moved the mysql DB to a qual-core Xeon 4G RAM box, cps of
> registration requests increased to 550/s.  Is this roughly that I
> should be expecting?
once you enable the authentication, you actually start measuring the
performance of the DB server and not of opensips - opensips it much,
much faster than a DB server is able to response, so the db query for
the password becomes the bottleneck.

> I hope to see the kind of benchmarking number that other people are
> seeing.
>
> Thank you in advance for your help.
what you can try to do is:
1) decouple authentication from DB - use a static password in the script
to push it directly in the auth module (instead ofDB query)
2) to a benchmark (from the server where opensips runs) against the DB
server, directly from mysql client - see how many queries per second you
can do; this will give you a fair idea about who's guilty for the delays.

Best regards,