[OpenSER-Users] SIGILL when starting openser

Christian Koch chri.koch.vier at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 28 13:01:30 CEST 2008

Henning Westerholt schrieb:
> Hi Christian,
>
> i think the correct statement for (a recent) 3.X gcc would be
> either 'mcpu=prescott' or 'mtune=prescott'. I don't know why march is used in
> this case, for the x86_64 case its correct. Then the compiler will only
> optimize for this special processor, but the code will nevertheless run on
> i386 machines too.
>
> The 'prescott' type is unfortunally not available on older gcc, so i
> used 'pentium4' instead. I'll make a fix on svn, could you perhaps test this?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Henning

Hi Henning,

you're right. The manpage of gcc says for mtune:

    While picking a specific cpu-type will schedule things appropriately
    for that particular chip, the compiler will not generate any code
    that does not run on the i386 without the -march=cpu-type option
    being used.

But as I have a Pentium III, I wouldn't benefit of "mtune=prescott",
although the compiled code will run on my machine, of course. I think
the correct way would be to have a configure script determining the CPU
type and using that type for mtune (I know, that would be a lot of
work....).
When you fixed the Makefile in SVN, just tell me, so I can test it.

Christian