[OpenSER-Users] TCP better than UDP??

franz.edler at inode.at franz.edler at inode.at
Mon Nov 12 13:20:41 CET 2007

> I came accros one Nokia-S60 Guideline regarding SIP setting in the
> NAT/Firewall traversal section which say:"It is recommended to use TCP
> as the transport instead of UDP since even doubled battery life can be
> achieved with a UI always connected to a SIP service".

I cannt comment on the battery life issue, but the problem is with IP
fragmentation. In case a message is fragmented because it exceeds the MTU
size there is a good chance that the fragmented packets cannot traverse
the firewall. This is because the port information is not repeated in
fragmented packets.

regards
Franz