[Users] "detached" timer

Jerome Martin jmartin at longphone.fr
Fri Mar 30 15:45:30 CEST 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-30 at 16:16 +0300, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu wrote:

> Hi Jerome,
>
> right, sometime is good to have thinks as clear as possible :).

Yep :-)

> as update on the topic, openser 1.2 has a new, improved timer
> implementation (core and TM)  - actually done by myself :) - and part of
> the performance boost roots from there.

Which is, BTW, a great job :-)

For people interested in looking at what SER does, this message led me
to take a look a SER 2.0 documentation and bits of code, and it is not
immediatly evident that they are taking a radically different route ...
they also improved timer granularity (down to a resolution of 62.5 ms).

They changed a bit parameters to configure various timers from config
file, and they of course retained the ability to change fr_timer and
fr_inv_timer (interesting for controlling max ringing duration)
on-the-fly on a per-transaction basis.

They also are currently developping a very interesting module called
"timer", which provides the ability to set timers on-the-fly, with
callback implemented as routes called when the custom timers fire. This
seems pretty simple in their model, the timer module being only 408
lines long (but I can't tell if this works already or not).

An other puzzling fact is that SER's implementation of timers in tm
module is about half the size as OpenSER's .... I'm not sure we can
infer anything from this fact, still it made me curious.