[Users] Re: [Business] Re: [Devel] OpenSER v1.2.0 released

Cesc cesc.santa at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 14:03:57 CEST 2007

On 3/30/07, Henning Westerholt <henning.westerholt at 1und1.de> wrote:
> On Friday 30 March 2007 12:51, C. Bergström wrote:
> >  > Just throwing wild ideas ... but if we moved to autotools (we need to
> >  > look for a guru ... I agree, more than autotools is auto-chaos) we
> >  > could easily cross-compile ...
> >  > And that said, it just comes to mind the chance of cross-compiling
> >  > with mingw and have a windows openser, just for the non-linux user and
> >  > expand our borders. It may be a cut down version to start with, but
> >  > wouldn't it be great?
> >
> > No.  Posix based software was in general never intended to run on
> > Windows.  More often than not the additional effort isn't worth it and
> > another thing to pull away from core development.
> > [...]
>
> The effort could be quite high, you're right. And i don't think it is right
> thing to do to port every free software project on the planet to the MS
> Windows platform, if they want to use e.g. OpenSER, they should use linux or
> a other unix system. :-)
>
> If anybody want to pay a developer for this, then it is another question. But
> it is also my opionion that this work should not be done from the core
> development team.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Henning

I agree that this could mean quite some effort, that it need not be
directly supported by the core team, but there is a lot of satelite
developers who may do that in their "free time", as a hobby.
I don't agree in the monolithic version of "only linux" ... running on
another platform, being portable, opens a whole new bunch of
oportunities to any project ... For one, in my company, we run
embedded linux AND windows embedded ... but we cannot have the same
proxy on both platforms, so  you have to support two software units
... that is work!

Cesc