[OpenSER-Users] Radius - prevent start record for ACK ?

G.Jacobsen g_jacobsen at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jul 11 19:06:42 CEST 2007

I am using freeradius with openser 1.0.1.

My problem is that openser is emitting TWO radius start records: One for the
INVITE with SIP method = 1 (INVITE) and also a second start record for SIP
Method = 4 (ACK)

Is is normal that a start record is also emitted for the ACK ?

As  long as the INVITE record is sent before the ACK record that is no real
problem.

However every-now-and-then (no pattern observed) Openser sends the Radius
start record with SIP Method = 4 (ACK) before the Record with SIP Method = 1
for the INVITE.

The problem is that the Radius record for the ACK does not contain the
username from the credentials so that the username is not correctly set in
the Radius record, instead of the correct username  the callerid is used as
the username.

How do I prevent that openser sends start records for the ACK ? Quite
frankly I do not understand why a start record for ACK is emitted since I
set the radius_flag only for INVITEs.

the relevant parts from my configuration:

modparam("acc", "radius_config",
"/usr/local/etc/radiusclient-ng/radiusclient.conf")
modparam("acc", "radius_flag", 1)
modparam("acc", "log_flag", 1)
modparam("acc", "service_type", 15)

route{

        # If this is an INVITE and not RE-INVITE start accounting
        if(is_method("INVITE") && !has_totag()){
                # set the acc flags
                setflag(1);
        };

        if (is_method("ACK")) { #hop-by-hop ACKs are absorbed here
                t_newtran();
                # drop broken ACKs
                exit;
        };