[Users] SDP Parser

Ovidiu Sas sip.nslu at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 17:24:13 CET 2007

Hi Michel,

It all depends on what you want to do.  Here are the two approaches
and the associated issues:

1. SIP Proxy:
  - you don't have control over the negotiated codec(s)
  - if the two parties agrees on a set of codecs, you don't know which
one will be used.  Even worst, the parties may change the codec
without renegotiating, since it is part of the negotiated set.
  - you don't have control over the stream packetization.

2. B2BUA:
  - you may force a single code to be used.
  - you may force the packetization for outgoing media, but you have
no control over the packetization of the incoming stream.

Computing the required bandwidth for VoIP calls is really tough unless
you work with well known SIP UAs and you know what to expect.

Hope this helps,
Ovidiu Sas

PS: you might wanna take a look at http://www.nslu2-linux.org/
There are several VoIP packages (openSER, rtpproxy, asterisk) that
were ported to several embedded platforms including dd-wrt.