[Users] 183 early media and NATed clients

Jeff Williams jeffw at globaldial.com
Mon Feb 12 11:37:44 CET 2007

Guys,

I'm wondering what solutions there are to this problem. We have some
NATed clients making outgoing calls. The NAT traversal is done using
mediaproxy and works fine. However, we have a problem with 183 responses
and early media ringing sounds.

The problem is that before the NATed client starts sending out RTP data,
mediaproxy doesn't know which IP and port to send the RTP traffic to.
Some of the NETed clients don't start sending out RTP traffic until the
call is connected, therefore none of the early media (ringing sounds)
reaches the user - making it sound like dead air.

Any ideas?

Jeff