[OpenSER-Users] Re: [OpenSER-Devel] SCTP support

Daniel-Constantin Mierla daniel at voice-system.ro
Fri Aug 3 10:35:41 CEST 2007

Dear Janardhan,

first I would like to thank you for assisting and helping with the SCTP
implementation.

On 08/03/07 00:20, Janardhan Iyengar wrote:
> Dear Daniel,
>
> Thank you very much for integrating the code in. This is very good
> news indeed!
>
> We will continue to test this code, and add more meaningful use of
> SCTP's features as we do more work with it. Who should we consider our
> point of contact? Is there one? Or should we just get in touch with
> the list again?
issues. It is a list with fast feedback and nice results out of debates
there. Patches should be registered on the tracker.

Your broad experience with SCTP will help a lot. I looked some time ago
to SCTP but the lack of phones supporting the protocol discouraged me
(of course, there is the chicken-egg situation: phone developers need a
server, server developers need a client -- hope this is a good start
point for more SCTP in VoIP). I like the SCTP because the resources used
on server are similar as for UDP, on the other hand, it solves important
issues as transmission reliability and fragmentation.

Another issue I see, an I do not know if applies, does NATs cope with
SCTP? I haven't seen much SOHO routers advertising SCTP.

Another interesting topic would be TLS-SCTP, there is RFC, not time to
study it yet, do you have any experience with it? As I got it from
sip-implementors list, so far the SCTP was used mainly for trunking.

Cheers,
Daniel