[Users] "detached" timer

Daniel-Constantin Mierla daniel at voice-system.ro
Thu Apr 5 14:46:49 CEST 2007

On 03/31/07 09:14, Jiri Kuthan wrote:
> At 18:58 30/03/2007, Bogdan-Andrei Iancu wrote:
>
>> jiri,
>>
>> let us be realistic !!!
>>
>> the policy (internal - about the code, targets and speed - and external - regarding contributions and user's wishes) was the key factor that made for us necessary to fork OpenSER.
>>

> I am kind of not very certain that neither this was the factor not it was
> necessary. Actually I remember that folks with insight into this were
> (and I maintain quite by right) rather concerned. To refresh your memory
> I recommend you this thread:
> http://lists.iptel.org/pipermail/serdev/2005-June/005120.html

the spread and evolution of openser project proves contrary -- knowing
what was then and where openser got so far, I can say that the fork was
a good thing. You should accept the open source environment where the
code can be forked at any moment, even if you like it or not. If you
personally don't like it, doesn't mean it is something bad.

>> having this in mind, I see no fundamentals for your "split-work" idea (I'm afraid it is just a diversion/advertising thing)... The success of a piece of code relies on the unity and synchronization of the developers!
>>

> I agree with the statement, which appears to be in contrast with the fork
> you apparently consider "necessary".
>
> Not that there would not be good progress -- the 1.2.0 release list seems to have
> great deal of inspiration from ottendorf, it is just I don't understand why some
> folks are upset about fixing TM.

I'm afraid you try to spread unrealistic stories -- since you started
the activity on openser mailing lists there was no constructive
conversation from your side, only accuses and claims to the project and
folks here. Really, you are not force to use openser or participate to
mailing lists if you dislike it.

OpenSER had all the time the roadmap public (btw, osas pointed we should
upgrade it :-) ), it happened to be changed when external contributions
popped up, or was strong demand of some feature. When you do such
statements, please list some of those great things, and we will let you
know when it started and how evolved (of course, you can dig on mailing
lists and forums if you want quick answer). I could say that is the
opposite direction, I may have quite strong arguments, but I don't,
because will end in political discussions, without a good progressive
result, so, there was no inspiration from openser to ser.

Regarding porting tm/timers or what so ever, we appreciate and welcome
any contribution to OpenSER, it will be reviewed and accepted if brings
something new or good. Not to invest unnecessary efforts in you side,
ser's tm is very likely to be rejected as it is now, because its known
big vulnerability to DoS. OpenSER tm module has very good performances
and lot of features which are not in ser.

Daniel