[Users] thought exercise

Mark Kent mark at noc.mainstreet.net
Fri Sep 29 20:16:06 CEST 2006

Thanks very much for the detailed answers.
You have supplied and confirmed lots of information for me.

I don't completely get what you mean by:

>> You should (must) use DNS entries for openser1 and openser2

Note that, for me, it's not DNS that's a mystery, but the
exact sequence of words you used in this context.

The snippet of code used the name of openser2 as it appears in
messages from openser2.  It's pattern matching, not DNS.
It also used the IP address of openser2 (src_ip), which also
doesn't (or shouldn't) rely on dns.

I run the DNS, I run openser[12].  I figure I should be able to
control things so that messages from openser2 look like I want them to
look, and so should be able to do such comparisons.

Or, did you mean something else?

BTW, your comments, plus the nudge from Klaus, have convinced me to
trash that code segment (the forward() kludge), so this is just a
curiosity now.

Thanks,
-mark