[Users] RTPProxy failover... load-balancing ?

Jeremie Le Hen jeremie at le-hen.org
Fri Sep 1 11:49:45 CEST 2006

Hi list,

I was wondering whether I could use multiple rtpproxy daemons along one
OpenSER instance, in order to both provide a failover mechanism as well
as load-balacing.

Google immediately pointed me out the following thread:
http://www.openser.org/pipermail/users/2005-October/001071.html

It happens that openser/modules/nathelper/nathelper.c contains the
following comment:
% 2005-02-24   Added support for using more than one rtp proxy, in which
%              case traffic will be distributed evenly among them. In addition,
%              each such proxy can be assigned a weight, which will specify
%              which share of the traffic should be placed to this particular
%              proxy.
%
%              Introduce failover mechanism, so that if SER detects that one
%              of many proxies is no longer available it temporarily decreases
%              its weight to 0, so that no traffic will be assigned to it.
%              Such "disabled" proxies are periodically checked to see if they
%              are back to normal in which case respective weight is restored
%              resulting in traffic being sent to that proxy again.
%
%              Those features can be enabled by specifying more than one "URI"
%              in the rtpproxy_sock parameter, optionally followed by the weight,
%              which if absent is assumed to be 1, for example:
%
%              rtpproxy_sock="unix:/foo/bar=4 udp:1.2.3.4:3456=3 udp:5.6.7.8:5432=1"

At first glance, I would say the aforementioned comment states that
nathelper achieves both failover and weighted load-balancing.  Can anyone
confirm this ?

Ultimately, I would like to do use the following arch :

                       ________+----------+
                      /________| RTPProxy |
    +---------+      //        +----------+
    +---------+     /\_________+----------+
                   /  \  ______| RTPProxy |
    +---------+   /    \/      +----------+
    | OpenSER |__/_____/\

If I understand correctly how it works, this should be possible to use N
OpenSER instances along with M RTProxy instances.  Am I right ?

Thank you.
Best regards,
--
Jeremie Le Hen