[Users] Difference between Alias and Listen

Max Gregorian gregorian442 at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 20 18:39:01 CEST 2006

Many thanks for your response.

So, in short, both 'alias' and 'listen' are needed for a multi-domain,
multi-port setup?

I have recently come across the domain module as you rightly mention, and
will be looking further into its use as it does seem like the more flexible
option. It does however require that I configure support for mysql database.

Just to clarify though, should the above setup still work for a multiple
domain environment (with the obvious drawback of having to put multiple
entries for each served domain)? I tried it as is, but it seems to be
affected by internal DNS (as we have internal DNS servers for our network),
even though I was still 'listening' on the required domain names and the LAN
IP of the server, so I will try putting entries in /etc/hosts when I get a
chance to see if it makes a difference.

Basically what I am trying to achieve is to just have the server listening
on a specific (fixed) IP and just point multiple domain names at it's public
IP without having to edit the config or restart openser. Do you know if this
is possible?

Thanks in advance.