[Users] Difference between Alias and Listen

Mark Kent mark at noc.mainstreet.net
Thu Oct 19 19:25:43 CEST 2006

Your message is very illuminating... in particular this:

>> someone who knows the internals of loose_route function, could tell
>> if the above is true or not.

You don't know?  I had you at the top level of my openser.gurus wall
chart and I guess I'll have to move you down a level :-)

>> lets sat your proxy gets an initial request with pre-loaded route header
>> Route: <sip:proxy.foo.bar>
>> assuming that proxy.foo.bar is hostname of the proxy and not any of the
>> domains that the proxy is responsible for

Under what conditions would that happen?

And, do you think this is a Best Common Practice (BCP)?
Namely, a clear separation between the domains the proxy is responsible for
and the hostname[s] of the server itself?

As I think about this, anyone who controls a domain can set up an A
record that points to my openser box.  So, as an openser.cfg
"programmer", I don't want to process just any message that might end
up on my box, I want to process only messages targeted at domains that
I explicitly configure for, recognizing that I also have to handle
numeric IP addresses.

>> i'm further assuming (not knowing) that if you add a port to alias, then
>> the proxy will not consider the route specifying itself if the request
>> came to another port than the one added to alias.

I guess I can see this...  one server could handle example.com:5060
another example.com:5061 and so on... as a way to spread load.

So, this just makes me more confused about the interaction between:

a) the alias statement
b) the domain module
c) SIP_DOMAIN environment variable

As an aside... openser takes the "programming with side-effects"
concept to the limit.

-mark