[Users] Difference between Alias and Listen

Mark Kent mark at noc.mainstreet.net
Thu Oct 19 19:04:26 CEST 2006

>> Thus, openser internally has a list of aliases it is responsible of.
>> This list includes:
>>   [snip]
>>   - all the domain names found out by reverse lookups of the listening IPs

I see that Richard Bennett had discovered that as he earlier typed:

== it seems something was trying to look-up the aliases
== that that server itself was listening on

where he likely meant IP addresses and not aliases.

I have to say that this is a big mistake.  Doing the lookups is a bad
idea and basing any sort of operational aspects of openser on the
domains culled from such reverse lookups is even worse.

The list of supported domains should be purely under the
explicit configuration control of the person running the
openser box... either with explicit "alias" statements,
or with the use of the "domain" module.

I could support this claim with a lengthy, experience supported,
argument.   But I'll save time with just this:

70.22.4.4.in-addr.arpa  name = wbar1.sjo1-4-4-022-070.sjo1.dsl-verizon.net.

-mark