[Users] OpenSER not working after running for several days

Mark Kent mark at noc.mainstreet.net
Thu Oct 19 18:42:49 CEST 2006

>> Locking it to 10/full was what the MCI technician recommended after
>> I opened a ticket because the line was dropping to 500Kbs
>> up/down. This was a 4Mbit up/down line burstable to 10. They said
>> it was not possible to increase the capacity of this line, so I
>> guess they are using their old 10Mbit equipment for this. Since
>> locking it like they asked speed has been fine,

OK, it wasn't clear that you were talking about a specialized
circuit delivered from a telco.

BTW, this phrase "the line was dropping to 500Kbs up/down"
implies that there was some protocol synching taking place
that negotiated the speed at that level (like a dsl line).
It would be more accurate to type "my observed throughput was
only 500Kbs up/down."

>> and the cable is a 2 meter factory made one plugging into the
>> datacenter patch-panel, so I don't think that's a problem...

My reference to the cable was for a situation where we're talking
about a real local area network, where you might have a central
switching fabric and machines distributed perhaps throughout a building
and was meant to apply to the cable run from the main switches to the
openser box.

So, now I don't get your set-up...  when you typed "I had to lock-down
the network card to 10mbit full-duplex" and then the bit above about
the MCI technician and the 4Mbit circuit etc. then this sounds like
you have a box running openser that is directly plugged into a
metro-lan-style connection that is hardcoded at the provider end to
10/full.

And yet, when you type "datacenter patch-panel" this implies that
there is a local area network which implies some sort of central
switching fabric and then when I consider "old 10Mbit equipment"
together with the phrase "datacenter" my jaw hits the ground...

Where is your server?

Thanks,
-mark