[Users] NOTIFY message required fields ??

Chris Robson Chris.Robson at nrl.navy.mil
Tue Nov 28 20:22:24 CET 2006

Thanks Klaus, for confirming what I thought, aka, if TCP is the
transport then Content-Length "MUST" be used.  Also, note I did get a
reply from Anca (Voice-system), saying it was fixed in a cvs release
(not sure which one yet).  Thus I have some new testing to do.

Thanks again....

Klaus Darilion wrote:
> Take a look at section 7.1 in RFC 3265:
>
> t means that the header SHOULD be included when using UDP (datagram
> transport), but MUST be included when using TCP or TLS (stream
> transport).
>
> regards
> klaus
>
> Chris Robson wrote:
>>
>> Is the field "Content-length" a required field in a NOTIFY message?
>> I see that it is part of almost every message from OpenSER except the
>> NOTIFY message.  This is causing some issues with Gaim SIMPLe
>> interface which processes the header based on the header string
>> "Content-Length".  Note Gaim does not care about the value associated
>> with the header string just the fact that the string "Content-Length"
>> exists.  Therefore, since OpenSER isnt sending the string, Gaim is
>> core dumping.  FYI on the core dump.  Yes, Gaim still has a bug on
>> how it is processing what it sees as unknown SIP messages which
>> actually is causing the core dump, the real problem is the fact that
>> Gaim is processing the header, expecting to see the field
>> "Content-length".  So before I report this to Gaim as a bug, I wanted
>> to get insight into whether the field is a required field.
>>
>> Thanks......

Christopher L Robson
Senior Computer Scientist
Naval Research Laboratory