[Users] TLS: what is encrypted in TLS?

Ferianto siregar ferianto_voip at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 2 21:29:31 CET 2006

Dear Witt,

  Thank you very much for your help before.
  Witt, may I ask you again,please?
  I have downloaded ssldump.tar.gz packet and installed it.
  As the INSTALL note in ssldump, I have installed libcap.tar.gz (from www.tcpdump.org) and openssl.
  I have installed it by using commands:
  # tar -zxvf ssldump-0.9b3.tar.gz
  # cd ssldump-0.9b3
  # ./configure --with-openssl
  #make
  #make install

  All installation process can run sucessfully (nothing error message shown).
  But, why when I try to run ssldump, I got nothing. There is any mesage shown when I tried to run
  #ssldump -i eth0

  What happens? Did I do wrong installation process? or I have missed something?

  I do hope you can help me.Please help me..

  Thank you very much for your help

  Regards,

  Ferianto

  Note:
  Actually, when I run ./configure --with-pcap, I got error message. The error message said that there is no pcap file. Why?
  Is lipcap packet that I got from www.tcpdump.org (as I read from ssldump INSTALL), same with pcap file ? or I have to download pcap ?

Steffen Witt <witt.steffen at googlemail.com> wrote:
  Hello Ferianto,

TLS is used for encrypting your SIP signaling, not the media data.
You should install "ssldump" on your server to see each step of the
TLS handshake.

Maybe you have a closer look to this short SSL tutorial:
http://www.eventhelix.com/RealtimeMantra/Networking/SSL.pdf

Best regards
Steffen

2006/10/30, Ferianto siregar :