[Users] mysql re-install??

Mark Kent mark at noc.mainstreet.net
Tue Jun 13 18:22:32 CEST 2006

>> in order to work, the table has to contain the version required by the
>> installed openser - check openser_mysqldb.sh (after installation) or
>> scripts/mysqldb.sh in sources.

Thanks for the explanation, but I think you missed the point.

The 'domain' module (and other modules) allows one to specify the
table to be used and even to specify a comletely different database on
some remote server to be used... one that is different than that
"used" at install time (when the user may not have even intended to
use that module, but was just executing the script blindly).

If a user does subsequently specify a different db_url or change the
name of the module-specific table, then the openser code has no
business checking against a list of static version numbers.
The user has over-ridden the default behaviour with his settings
and is saying "I'm not using the default tables built at install time..."

Unless, of course, the user should update this 'version' table manually.
If that's the case, then the module documentation should make note
of this in every module where the db_url is documented.

Thanks,
-mark